As the chilly arctic air makes its way across the country, the Farmer's Almanac warns that winter's blast is far from over and bitter cold temperatures will return. News reports suggest all 50 states, even Hawaii, dipped below 32 degrees at some point owing to the arctic air. The cold snap left many thinking about keeping their homes warm.
Honeywell, a thermostat provider with more than 150 million customers, offers the following tips to maximize safety, home comfort and peace of mind this winter:
- Be Wary of Fireplaces: Many people don't realize that while a fireplace can provide warmth to those sitting near it, in reality they allow the warm air to escape making your home less comfortable. At the same time, cold air is also seeping into your house. If you don't regularly use your fireplace, seal the chimney flue to prevent this heat loss. If you do regularly use your fireplace, make sure to keep the damper closed whenever the fire isn't going;
- Opt for maximum personalized home comfort: Precision in temperature, humidity and air quality control is key to home comfort and for energy savings during winter months. While thermostats have become a trendy gadget, the bottom line is that they control one of the most expensive and critical systems in the home. Be sure to look for a thermostat that is both stylish and reliable with an accuracy of +/- 1 degree for optimum home comfort and energy savings;
- Utilize Ceiling Fans: By reversing the fan's direction to clockwise, the blades will create an updraft, effectively pushing down the hot air that rises to the top of the ceiling;
- Evaluate your existing thermostat: Programmable thermostats are especially beneficial if your home is unoccupied all day. If you have a programmable thermostat, review schedules to customize it to your lifestyle and extreme weather conditions to ensure that it not only maximizes your comfort 24/7 but also effectively manages energy use. If you have a non-programmable thermostat and you're thinking about an upgrade, consider a programmable or Wi-Fi programmable thermostat that will allow you to set different temperatures for different times of the day;
- Purchase a connected thermostat: A Wi-Fi programmable thermostat offers maximum flexibility and allows you to monitor and adjust your home temperatures directly from an app anytime, anywhere. This feature can offer greater peace of mind when you are away from home, as it alerts you of a malfunction so you can take action during a cold snap.