Are you getting the most out of your agent website? No matter which agent website service you have, there are some simple things you can do to make sure your site looks professional, polished and represents you well to potential clients.
This has nothing to do with the features of your website or property search – these are things that every real estate agent can and should do with their website.
- Customize the homepage content! Many agent websites come with default homepage content so that your home page isn’t blank when it’s first set up. However, many agents never get around to replacing the default content with custom or original content. This means that many agents end up with the same generic default text on their site’s home pages! If your website doesn’t provide default homepage text, create your own text. A homepage with nothing but default content and search features will not set you apart from other agents who have the same web site service.
- Change the site layout or color! Almost all agent websites have multiple layouts and colors to choose from, but many agents just keep the default template and color that the site was set up with. Take a few minutes to switch out the default so your site won’t look like a copy of the sites of the other agents who have the same website solution!
- Add your photo – or get a new one! All agent websites allow agents to upload their own photos, but I’m surprised at how many agents haven’t done this. It’s such a missed opportunity! It’s best to use a professional looking photo, and have a new photo taken every 3 to 4 years. If your potential clients don’t recognize you at your first meeting because your website photo is a Glamour Shot from 1992, that’s not a good thing.
- Add your Company Logo! Any good agent website product will allow the agent to add their company logo, but not everyone takes advantage of this.
- Link to your social media profiles! Do you have a Facebook business page or a LinkedIn profile? By all means, link to your profiles from your website! Give consumers who visit your website the opportunity to learn more about you and find out what they might have in common with you. Connecting with clients on social networking sites is a great way to keep your name and information in front of them.
- Add fresh content periodically! You don’t have to update your website every week, but you should periodically add or update the content on your website, and check to make sure that any links you have added still work correctly. Many agent websites, such as the XactSite products, offer widgets that you can set up to automatically pull updated news and information into your website.
These simple steps will help to ensure that your website represents you in a professional manner. It doesn’t matter how many bells and whistles or killer features your website has if you don’t take basic steps to make sure it represents you well.