We recently polled ListHub Pro customers to learn how they prepare for listing presentations and what tips they would offer other agents to help them win the listing.
“Before anything else, preparation is the key to success.”
– Alexander Graham Bell
An overwhelming theme among the responses was the importance of preparation. 55% of those surveyed said they spend 1 – 2 hours preparing for listing presentations, and 32% spent as much as 6 hours researching and preparing. One of the first steps is preparing the comprehensive listing presentation packet. The following is what Pro Agents who responded to our survey include in their packet:
- A report of new and recent activity in the MLS
- Examples of print marketing materials (postcards, flyers, etc.)
- eMarketing flyers with a list of all the websites where a listing will be advertised online
- Examples of marketing reports that demonstrate the key performance indicators tracked during the home selling process
- Information about the company or brokerage
- Information about the agent’s credentials and experience
- Examples of technology the company uses to sell homes faster or more efficiently
- Examples of contractual documents
According to the 2013 NAR Profile of Homebuyers and Sellers, the top four agent services that sellers place the highest priority on are 1) helping the seller market the home to potential buyers 2) help selling the home within a specific timeframe 3) help pricing the home competitively 4) and help finding a buyer for the home. It is important to keep these priorities top of mind and make sure you address each in your presentation.
Additionally, an agent’s reputation is one of the most important factors cited by sellers when choosing an agent. Including testimonials or a list of references are great ways to reinforce your reputation.
Finally, whether preparing a digital or print presentation, make sure to provide clients with a copy of their own to review after the meeting.
How important is Online Marketing?
88% of those surveyed said featuring their online marketing strategy to new clients is important/very important in helping them win more listings. Nearly 60% said they use the ListHub eMarketing flyers or Seller Reports to showcase their online marketing strategy at Listing Presentations. Click here to view a video of these tools.
And now, here are the Pro tips we heard from our participants!
Top 10 Tips from the Pros
1. Spend time researching, preparing, and even practicing your presentation so that you will be able to deliver it with confidence. You win the listing before you meet the client – be prepared and be professional.
2. Demonstrate what you do differently than other agents. Everybody advertises online, but what is unique about your strategy – online activity reports, enhanced listings, full motion video tours, etc.
3. Technology is key to marketing! Express how you utilize new technology to serve your clients and sell their home faster. Provide demos of technology if possible.
4. Be positive and enthusiastic about their home; remember it is their “castle!”
5. Be flexible with your presentation. Listen to the client’s needs first. The client should talk 70% of the time. The goal is to identify how you can best help the individual client, not to just run through an hour long PowerPoint.
6. Be On Time! You only get one chance to make a first impression.
7. Be responsive to clients; answer your phone and return calls promptly.
8. Be yourself by including humor and personal experiences in your presentation. Clients want to work with agents they both like and trust.
9. If you are a new agent seek out a mentor to help you prepare and even attend listing appointments.
10. Tailor your presentation to each listing. A canned presentation will get stale. Remember that the client is likely to hear several presentations, so make sure your presentation stands out from the rest.
After delivering an awesome listing presentation, 84% of agents followed up with the client within 2 days. 66% followed up with a personal phone call, 15% by email, and 6% by snail mail. Prompt follow up conveys to the client how responsive you would be as their agent – don’t miss this easy opportunity to win over clients with a simple phone call or email.
Editor’s Note: This guest post was written by Celeste Starchild, VP, Sales and Marketing of ListHub. ListHub is the industry’s leading agent/broker syndication tool for managing the complexities of marketing your listings online. ListHub’s syndication marketing service is available to all MRIS customers for free. Learn more about ListHub on MRIS.com or at ListHub.com.